Welcome to the IIFYM Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refeed days?

Refeed days?

Hey everyone. I have been reading a lot about the Refeed Days some incorporate into their IIFYM diet on Instagram. I have figured out that you increase the amount of carbs on those days, but what purpose do they have? And how can you incorporate them into your diet? Is there a system to it?

Thats an interesting question. I imagine (just a guess here) the refeed days are for those who are cutting (calorie defecit), so they are trying to restore some glycogen stores in their muscles so they can continue to have good workouts. I'd be surprised if anyone who's aggressive bulking and eating almost 400 carbs a day would need a refeed day but if you find out more about it let us know!

okay, I have found something. I am on my phone right now, so I cannot link it here, but google "Layne Norton The ultimate cutting diet". It is a really long and great (Layne is THE god, owe him my metabolic recovery) article, which I have not read completely yet. But there is a part about Refeed days in it. Going to talk about the content tomorrow, when I have read all of it to see if I understand it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
    okay, I have found something. I am on my phone right now, so I cannot link it here, but google "Layne Norton The ultimate cutting diet". It is a really long and great (Layne is THE god, owe him my metabolic recovery) article, which I have not read completely yet. But there is a part about Refeed days in it. Going to talk about the content tomorrow, when I have read all of it to see if I understand it correctly.
    That article is very dated (Layne says this himself). Refeed days will restore a bit of glycogen into your muscles, which will give you a little boost of energy to lift better in the gym for the next few days, and it can also really positively affect your metabolic rate. The number one way your body's metabolic rate is effected is by how many calories you consume in a day. Homeostasis states that our body doesn't want change, so it will actually lower its metabolic rate (by making certain bodily processes more efficient - or requiring less energy (calories) - to not have to change body composition). This is exactly what you do NOT want, you want to be able to consume as many calories as possible while still losing weight at a good rate. A refeed day can really help maintain your metabolic rate while eating a caloric deficit for an extended period of time. I hope this helps, don't get carried away with refeed days, you should still be tracking macros, hitting fiber/micros ect, you just have more carbs involved with your diet. Also just to clarify, while bulking it is 100% unnecessary to have a refeed day, you have plenty of muscle glycogen, and saying that you are "bulking" means you are eating in some form of caloric surplus, therefore you are eating more food than your body needs to function, so your metabolism won't be damaged at all (saying that you are eating a normal ratio of protein/carbs/fats, sleeping enough, ect)

Thank you! Great explanation! I just posted the article because it was the best information I found, I am sorry that it was a more dated one.

Refeeds can also help boost levels of leptin, which is a hormone that is beneficial for continued fat loss. Starchy carbs such as potatoes, bread, etc. are best for bumping leptin levels.

Refeed days are not only for replenishing glycogen stores. Having a refeed day - consisting of mainly carbs and 25-50% more of your cutting calories - will spike your leptin levels, which increase metabolism and Leptin acts on receptors in the hypothalamus of the brain where it inhibits appetite by (1) counteracting the effects of neuropeptide Y (a potent feeding stimulant secreted by cells in the gut and in the hypothalamus); (2) counteracting the effects of anandamide (another potent feeding stimulant that binds to the same receptors as THC, the active ingredient of marijuana); and (3) promoting the synthesis of α-MSH, an appetite suppressant. This inhibition is long-term, in contrast to the rapid inhibition of eating by cholecystokinin (CCK) and the slower suppression of hunger between meals mediated by PPY3-36. The absence of a leptin (or its receptor) leads to uncontrolled food intake and resulting obesity.

I have been wondering about refeed days myself! this is so helpful! But I just can't imagine eating more carbs right now. As it is, I recently started struggling with my weight again after 6 weeks of counting macros. It sounds like we don't all need to be doing reefed days?

Also, the phrase "cutting calories".... what does this mean?? When do you cut calories?

Quote Originally Posted by HungryGirl26 View Post
    I have been wondering about refeed days myself! this is so helpful! But I just can't imagine eating more carbs right now. As it is, I recently started struggling with my weight again after 6 weeks of counting macros. It sounds like we don't all need to be doing reefed days?

Also, the phrase "cutting calories".... what does this mean?? When do you cut calories?
    Leigh Peele just posted a good write-up on reefeeds/diet breaks and when you need them. I can't post the link just yet, but Google her and it's the most recent article.

"Cutting calories" refers to reducing your overall caloric intake in order to lose fat. If your daily intake to maintain your weight is 2,000, you might begin eating only 1,500 each day to theoretically drop around 1lb. of fat per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucifist View Post
    Leigh Peele just posted a good write-up on reefeeds/diet breaks and when you need them. I can't post the link just yet, but Google her and it's the most recent article.

"Cutting calories" refers to reducing your overall caloric intake in order to lose fat. If your daily intake to maintain your weight is 2,000, you might begin eating only 1,500 each day to theoretically drop around 1lb. of fat per week.
    Thank you! I just posted a new thread about my recent struggle! Please let me know if you have any feedback. I'll research the article you mentioned!